While I love the crock pot for main dishes, it is wonderful to stretch my capabilities of crock pot cooking and try a side dish. The first time I attempted this recipe, I followed the directions and ended up with so-so results. It was a little disappointing, but I was determined to try, try again. I think the fault of the original recipe was not cooking the bacon before putting it in the crock pot. The texture was underwhelming as you were expecting a bite of crisp bacon and ended up with a rubbery texture. Second go around, I crisped the bacon in the microwave for a few minutes and then crumbled it. I was much more pleased with the crunchy bits of bacon and the overall flavor was excellent. These potatoes pack a good amount of flavor, so serve them with a more mild main dish. Rotisserie chicken, grilled steak, or some barbecue pork chops would be an excellent choice to accompany.
- 1/4 pound of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 slices of cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons of butter, cubed
- salt and pepper
- Green Onions, sliced (optional)
- Line crock pot with foil, overlapping the edges with enough foil to cover the tops of the potatoes.
- Layer: half each of bacon, onions, potatoes and cheese in crock pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper and 1 Tablespoon of cubed butter. Repeat layers with remaining half of ingredients.
- Cover with remaining foil and place crock pot lid on top.
- Cook on low for 10-12 hours.
Original Recipe from Moms with Crock Pots.
Stuck at home next week on Spring Break? Check out these fun Pinterest Spring Break Ideas!
Ever have cooking questions or want to request a recipe, comment or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit Deep South Sweets on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest!