Thursday, March 8, 2012

Deep South Home: Spring Cleaning Tips and Tricks


As the temperatures are on the rise (albeit a very short rise after our unusually warm winter),
I get the incredible urge to throw open the windows and air out the house.
In the process, my nesting spirit takes over and I cannot stop my desire to have the house scrubbed top to bottom and reorganize every closet and storage space.

Here is a list of some very random tips and tricks.
There are so many tips out there but these are a few of my favorites at the moment.
Some are personally inspired and others are pin-inspired.

Start your spring cleaning off by establishing a good cleaning schedule for moving forward.
It will simplify your life and help keep your home in a state of clean on a regular basis.
This example from Little Green Notebook is a great place to start, and then customize it to meet your needs.

No matter how clean your house is, if your baseboards are not clean, it will always look and feel dirty.
I love this tip for cleaning my baseboards. The dryer sheets really do help to repel the dust for quite awhile - I am one month in and my baseboards still look sparkling clean.

I always adhere to the mattress schedule of Spin in the Spring and Flip in the Fall. That means spin your mattress this spring so that the head is at the feet and the feet at the head. This tip prevents your mattress from developing craters over time of where you sleep.

One of the places I seem to constantly neglect in cleaning....the ceiling fans. Using a pillowcase to clean them helps to contain the dust rather than making a larger mess than intended.

How often do you tub clean your washing machine? Now is a great time to follow your manufacturer's instructions and give the tub a good soak. 

Now lets get to organizing. I love this post on 31 Days to an Organized Home. When my home is organized, things run so much smoother and it feels as if there is tremendously less stress. It makes a huge difference to know where things are and not be surrounded by clutter.

Do a good clean out of your medicine cabinet. Get rid of expired medications. I have found it is much easier to have individual tubs in our medicine cabinet. One tub for Cuts and Scrapes, another for Colds and Sore Throat, one for Upset Stomachs, etc. It makes it so much easier to go in and grab what you need so you aren't searching.

I want to hear from you. What tips and tricks can you add to my list of randomness?


Ever have questions or want to request a recipe or tutorial, comment or email me at deepsouthsweets@gmail.com. You can also visit Deep South Sweets on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest!

blog signature - 4/2011

1 comment: