We affectionately refer to this pound cake as my little nut's First Birthday Cake. It is a wonderful pound cake that is so dense and flavorful. Fresh fruit and whipped cream or ice cream are fantastic toppings. You could even throw a few slices on the grill for a unique dessert.
- 1 cup of butter (2 sticks)
- 3 cups of sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of almond
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour your desired bundt pan or tube pan. This is the tried and true best way to get your cakes to come out of the pan.
- Cream butter and sugar together on medium speed.
- Add sour cream and combine.
- Mix the flour and baking soda together in a separate bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture a little bit at a time alternating with eggs. Beat after each addition... add a little flour mixture...beat...add an egg....beat....repeat until all eggs and flour are combined into mixture.
- Add vanilla and almond and combine.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing from pan - if your cake has risen slightly above pan you will want to run a knife gently around the edge to ease it away.
Original recipe from Paula Deen's: The Lady and Sons Savannah Country Cookbook