It is recipe week here on Deep South Sweets. All recipes. Every day. I have some of my household favorites to share with you as well as a new recipe or two.
This salad is another "staple salad". You don't come to many parties at my house without finding this salad on the menu. Girls love it, guys love it, kids love it, baby's love it (oops too far). I recommend doubling the lettuce mix for crowds of 8 (don't double the dressing as it makes ample). It is a magical salad and tends to disappear before your eyes.
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce (I usually use one bag of hearts of romaine - can also sub spinach)
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 pkg Ramen noodles (doesn't matter what flavor as you are only using the noodles not the seasons)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 to 1 cup of sugar (depends on how sweet you want - I like 3/4)
- 3 teaspoons of soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large salad bowl, break lettuce into small bite size pieces and toss with green onions slices. Prepare ahead of time and refrigerate together.
- Break the Ramen noodles into bite size pieces and combine with walnuts. Toast on the stove top or oven until evenly browned. You can toast them in 4 Tablespoons of butter if your prefer but it really isn't necessary. Once toasted set aside to cool.
- Blend oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, and salt and pepper together by blender or whisk. Chill in refrigerator.
- At serving time, toss greens, noodle/nut mixture, and at least 1 cup of dressing.
Original recipe from my church cookbook.
I have Island Chicken marinating in my fridge for dinner tonight - can't wait!