Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Sweet Life: Bloom Book Club - You're Already Amazing Chapter Three

As always, I am really on top of things with this book club.
Regardless, I am going to keep on sharing with you guys at my own pace because this book really is incredible.
Chapter Three is about the lies that we believe about ourselves and how we can begin to respond to them in a Christ-like way.
I want to share those lies and some of my favorite quotes from the chapter.

Chapter Three: Why Is It So Hard to Believe I'm Amazing?

"We're all going to wrestle with our identities, feel drawn to insecurity, and want to fill those holes within us in other ways. That's not a sin. What matters is what we do next. We have a choice between living in the truth or giving in to the flesh. And what we pick ultimately shapes us and the course of our lives."

"And now we stand as women accused. The enemy is ready to throw stones at us. In the dust of our hearts, I picture Jesus writing truth that covers those accusing words:
Loved
Accepted
Chosen
Mine
...others may speak into our lives. But Jesus has the final say. He covers the lies with love."

Lie #1: I have to be perfect
Response: God' goal for our lives is growth and there is a difference between growth and our typical idea of "perfection"
Perfectionism is all or nothing.
Growth is little by little.
Perfectionism is all about the goal.
Growth is more about the journey.
Perfectionism is about outward appearances.
Growth is about what happens on the inside.
Perfectionism is about what we do.
Growth is about who we're becoming.

Lie #2: I need to be more like "her"
Response: "Your story and strengths belong to you. God doesn't compare them (or you) to anyone else, and you don't have to either.

Lie #3: I don't have anything to offer
Response: "When parts of my heart or life don't measure up to my expectations, I tend to hide them. But what if someone would be blessed by what I have to share and they miss out because I hide it?"

Lie #4: Being confident will make me prideful and selfish
Response: "Jesus was secure in who he was and whose he was, and that enabled him to freely serve...Jesus shows us that true confidence leads to service."

"Insecurity does just what it sounds like - turns us inward...If we want to become more unselfish, we've got to believe what God says about us. Because when we do, we'll be able to stop looking inward and instead focus upward and outward on him as well as others."

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power and love and of self-discipline."
2 Timothy 1:7

Lie #5: I am what others say I am
Response: "There is no condemnation in Christ, so if someone else has spoken condemning words over you, they they are not true - no matter how real they may feel."


All quotes from You're Already Amazing by Holley Gerth.

Don't forget to check out Chapter One, Chapter Two and the Videos over at Bloom

What has been your favorite part of the book so far (even if you are actually on track with the reading schedule)?

Ever have questions or want to request a recipe or tutorial, comment or email me at deepsouthsweets@gmail.com. You can also visit Deep South Sweets on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest!


blog signature - 4/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment