Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Deep South Eats: Unbundled Green Beans

For years, my family has enjoyed Green Bean Bundles at many occasions because they compliment so many different meals. The problem is that bundling the green beans is a time commitment. My small group bible study always shares a meal each time we meet, and recently my friend, Sarah, brought the most amazing green bean recipe for Unbundled Green Beans. They were different than Green Bean Bundles in flavor because they were sweet and smoky rather than savory. They were the ultimate, easy comfort food side dish.
After falling in love with them myself, I passed the recipe along to my mother as she was needing an easy side dish recipe for a large dinner party. They were a hit with every one of her guests. Since then she has cooked them for different groups of people....dinner for a family following a funeral and food for a family with a sick family member. They are always met with rave reviews, and my sweet mom has directed the recipe inquiries to my blog. It then dawned on me that I had never posted this recipe...oops! I hope that you all are able to enjoy this comfort food recipe with friends and family alike....and now when you send someone to the blog for the recipe it will actually be here!
Ingredients:

  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans whole green beans, drained
  • 1/3 package bacon (I prefer whatever has the lowest fat content like center cut)
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 Tablespoon soy sauce

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 
  • Spread green beans evenly in a 9x13 casserole dish.
  • Cut bacon into 1-inch pieces (pop your bacon into the freezer for a little bit ahead of time and it is easier to cut). Sprinkle bacon pieces evenly over green beans.
  • In a small bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, minced garlic, and soy sauce. Pour evenly over green beans and bacon.
  • Bake for 45-60 minutes or until bacon appears done on top (browned and slightly crisped).
If you are not going to serve this immediately, I do recommend draining the grease off the bottom of your pan.

Original recipe that has been altered to my liking...Just a Pinch

Ever have cooking questions or want to request a recipe, comment or email me at deepsouthsweets@gmail.com. You can also visit Deep South Sweets on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest!  


blog signature - 4/2011

3 comments:

  1. can you use fresh green beans? Had this dish over Thanksgiving at a get together. Very yummy but really sweet, I like how you use less brown sugar and butter. Just curious about fresh green beans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put chopped onions in with the ingredients that you pour over beans . It added a different flavor, but good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the original recipe and thought that was way too much brown sugar and butter. This recipe is much better. I put minced onion flakes in mine and I like to use frozen long green beans and cook them first, then add the other stuff and bake.

    ReplyDelete