Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Deep South Eats: Summer Strawberry Iceberg Wedge

One of my husband's favorite salads is an Iceberg Wedge Salad. Loaded up with bacon, green onion, blue cheese and blue cheese dressing, it doesn't rank really high on the health-ometer. I decided the other night to think outside the box and use what we had around the house to create a fantastic Summer Strawberry Iceberg Wedge Salad. It was definitely a hit and definitely a little healthier! The sweetness of the strawberries and the tangy balsamic all enhanced with toasted nuts was just out of this world. It was perfect served alongside a small cup of homemade mac and cheese, but it would also work well with a cup of summer chowder.

Ingredients:
  • One head iceberg lettuce
  • 2 cups chopped strawberries
  • 1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
  • 1/4 cup sliced green onions
  • Balsamic vinaigrette dressing, preferably lite or low-fat (I have never made my own because I love the Newman's Own Lite Balsamic Vinaigrette)
Directions:
  • Wash and dry your head of iceberg lettuce very well. Remove the bruised outer leaves and core the head of lettuce. Slice into 4 wedges (I will often stretch it to 5 wedges if I want a smaller salad).
  • Place each wedge of iceberg on a plate and top with chopped strawberries, toasted pecans, and sliced green onions.
  • Drizzle balsamic dressing over the top and serve immediately.
Don't forget to check out this morning's post of my Favorite Applique Sites (I am hoping to start a small business soon!)

Ever have cooking questions or want to request a recipe, comment or email me at deepsouthsweets@gmail.com. You can also visit Deep South Sweets on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest 

blog signature - 4/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment