Thursday, February 9, 2012

Deep South Home: State of the Living Room Address

Some of you may remember way back when,
 And I do mean WAY BACK WHEN, I posted a What's A Living Room to Do? post.
Since I have a good case of decorating attention deficit disorder,
I am finally getting around to show you pictures of the changes made over the past year.

THEN:



NOW:



This is my old sewing table that I brought down from upstairs.
It is a great space for Belle to sit and color, and I can pay bills and work on correspondence.
My goal is to have 4 prints or type of photograph above the desk and then some neat jars and baskets for holding markers, crayons, paper, etc.
I also would like a different chair so I can move this one back to the breakfast table.

I just refinished these two end tables to give a different dynamic than a typical coffee table.
It is nice because it balances our second couch better than a coffee table has in the past.
I shortened the legs to a more appealing height for in front of the couch.
Then I stripped the glossy-ish finish with Klean-Strip Liquid Sander/Deglosser.
I opted out of priming because I really wanted the warm wood tones to show through a bit. 
Lastly, I applied two coats of Martha Stewart Living Precious Metals Paint in Silver Leaf.
(The paint gets bad reviews for painting rooms but it was perfect for furniture).

My new lamps from Target with a Christmas gift card (thank you Grandma - I know you read this). I am absolutely in love with the burlap shades and the clean look of the glass base.


I would love to eventually cover the TV over the mantle by making a box similar to this one.
I will now be on the hunt for some matching mirrors that are also affordable.




In the meantime, two of these tall lanterns from Pier 1 would be simple but still coordinating.


There are still many things I would like to do :
-have plantation shutters made for the back windows to match the ones on the rest of the house
-make a true table skirt for the corner table
-find a different table for next to the couch since the black wood is contrasting
-two smaller arm chairs to replace the large, red, overstuffed chair


What do you think...have I failed miserably or maybe got a few things right? I am definitely no interior designer.


What are you inspired to redo/update in your home lately?

Ever have questions or want to request a recipe or tutorial, comment or email me at deepsouthsweets@gmail.com. You can also visit Deep South Sweets on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest!


Don't forget to check out the Toffee Apple Dip from earlier today...two posts in one day...that is nuts!

blog signature - 4/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment