Thursday, November 17, 2011

Deep South Eats: Cheesy Corn Casserole

When I came across this recipe for Cheesy Corn Casserole, I was excited for a variation from my usual Corn Pudding. This corn was absolutely fantastic. It is so full of flavor from the smokey bacon to the richness of the cheese, that I would pair it with a simple grilled or roasted meat. I used the original recipe and it made a ton...enough that I was able to take half to dinner at my parents the next night. I have halved the recipe for you all because I assume you aren't in the business of feeding and army.


Ingredients:
  • 2 slices bacon, finely chopped
  • 3 Tablespoons butter, cubed
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 ounces cream cheese, cubed
  • 1 ounce Velveeta, cubed (I used the 2% milk version that is lighter and had good results)
  • 1 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 pound of fresh or frozen corn kernels
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  • Heat bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring until browned, about 8 minutes.
  • Add butter and garlic to bacon in pan and cook for 1 minute.
  • Add flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
  • Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook stirring constantly until mixture is thickened, about 2 minutes.
  • Add in cream cheese, Velveeta, cheddar and paprika, and cook until smooth.
  • Remove from stove top and stir in corn, season with salt and pepper.
  • Transfer mixture to a square baking dish (if you use the original recipe you will need a 9 x 13 baker).
  • Baked until top is golden brown and bubbling, about 40 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
Original recipe found at Saveur

blog signature - 4/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment