- 2 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 ounce Velveeta, cubed (I used the 2% milk version that is lighter and had good results)
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 pound of fresh or frozen corn kernels
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Original recipe found at Saveur
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add butter and garlic to bacon in pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Add flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook stirring constantly until mixture is thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add in cream cheese, Velveeta, cheddar and paprika, and cook until smooth.
- Remove from stove top and stir in corn, season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a square baking dish (if you use the original recipe you will need a 9 x 13 baker).
- Baked until top is golden brown and bubbling, about 40 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.