Keeping it real with the plastic plate here folks - and the fact that this was a reheated plate of leftovers the day after I made it. This was such a wonderful meal. After cooking it once there are a few things I would change for the next time. Broiling or grilling instead of pan cooking. The hot potatoes and green beans with the dijon vinaigrette dressing were awesome and I probably could have eaten them alone out of a giant bowl (sad but oh so true).
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (my grocer had baby golds that were super tender and bite size)
- 7 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 flank steak approx 1 1/2 pounds
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch (bite size) pieces
- 1 shallot, minced (you can find these usually with the garlic and onion in the grocery)
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley (I was making this before work one day so for ease I subbed 1 T dried parsley and 1 t dill)
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill (see above)
Recipe adapted from original recipe in my favorite magazine: Cook's Country.
- Pat steak dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper
- Combine red wine vinegar and mustard in medium bowl.
- Slowly whisk in 5 Tablespoons of oil into vinegar-mustard mixture.
- Coat steak with 2 Tablespoons of vinaigrette and allow to sit covered 30 mins to no longer than 4 hours in refrigerator.
- When ready to cook, preheat broiler (or grill if going that route).
- Toss potatoes and 1 Tablespoon of oil in large bowl and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
- Microwave until potatoes are translucent, 4 to 7 minutes, shaking bowl (w/ plastic still in place) halfway through. and drain well. Set aside.
- Broil steak 6 inches from broiler (on a broiler pan or foil-covered, rimmed baking sheet) about 5 minutes per side (for medium rare - the best way to eat flank steak).
- Set steak aside on cutting board and tent with foil.
- Heat remaining Tablespoon of oil in skillet and cook potatoes and beans over medium heat until browned and tender, approx 5 minutes.
- Off heat stir in remaining vinaigrette, shallot, parsley and dill into the potatoes and green beans. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice steak thinly against the grain and serve with hot potato and green bean salad.