Ohmahgoohness. These are so good and oh so simple. After seeing this Creamy Chicken Taquito recipe in several places I knew it was time for me to give them a try. They made for a perfect weeknight meal accompanied with a simple green salad with a catalina dressing and a side of black beans. I will have to admit that they don't reheat well, but I could see these being fantastic frozen before baking.
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup of salsa (original recipe calls for green but all I had on hand was the tomato based)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro (optional - I omitted since cilantro is not my best friend)
- 2 sliced green onions
- 2 cups of shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup of shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 10-12 6-inch flour tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Kosher Salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, spices, garlic, cilantro, green onions, chicken and shredded cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Heat the tortillas a 4-6 at a time for 20-30 seconds in microwave to soften.
- Spoon 2-3 Tablespoons of filling down the middle of the tortilla. Roll tightly around the filling and place seam side down on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and evenly spacing filled taquitos on baking sheet.
- Spray the tops of the taquitos lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt. The salt really adds to the overall flavor and texture so don't skip this step.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden brown. If you prefer to freeze them, transfer baking sheet to freezer and chill for 30-60 minutes. Transfer frozen taquitos to freezer safe container or plastic bag. When ready to bake from freezer add a few minutes to baking time and bake until filling is warmed through. Serve with sour cream and salsa.