Monday, July 2, 2012

Deep South Eats: Broccoli Slaw with Candied Pecans

I have never been a huge slaw girl. Doesn't that sound like some fun food superhero....Slaw Girl to the barbecue rescue. Pardon my slip into weird-dom. As I am "growing up" (not evidenced by the last sentence), I am working to expand my horizons and re-try foods I used to dislike. While I have not gained bravery with all foods, I have found many that I actually like as an adult. Surprise, surprise! Cole slaw is definitely one of them. When it comes to plain jane slaw, I like very small portions and probably like it best atop a barbecue sandwich. Add in some fun ingredients like broccoli, golden raisins, and candied pecans and I am in love.
I saw this recipe for Broccoli Slaw with Candied Pecans in a recent Southern Living and was thrilled to give it a go. Served alongside Crock Pot Beef Barbecue Sandwiches and crispy potato chips, and we had the perfect balance of sweet and salty. The slaw has a great combination of tangy vinegar, a little spice from the red pepper, and bites of sweet from the crunchy pecans and raisins. I can see this quickly disappearing from picnic tables at your next backyard barbecue or summer potluck.

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound broccoli
  • 1 cup mayonnaise (I prefer Light Duke's)
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1 (16 ounce) package of cole slaw mix
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup chopped glazed pecans (I could not find packaged glazed pecans at my grocery so I made my own using this recipe from AllRecipes...they were wonderful for snacking and on ice cream the rest of the week)
Directions:
  • Cut broccoli florets from stems and separate florets into small pieces using a paring knife. Peel away the tough outer layer of stems and finely chop stems.
  • Whisk together mayonnaise and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add cabbage, raisins, and broccoli. Stir well to coat evenly.
  • Stir in pecans just before serving. We knew we would not eat it all at one sitting and so I added pecans to each individual portion.
Original recipe from MyRecipes.

Ever have cooking questions or want to request a recipe, comment or email me at deepsouthsweets@gmail.com. You can also visit Deep South Sweets on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest!  


blog signature - 4/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment