Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Deep South Eats: Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken

I am always excited to have fun weeknight meals that are super easy and pack a ton of flavor. I came across this recipe for Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken on Pinterest, and knew that it would be great for something different on weeknights than using chicken in a casserole. My family loved the sweet and tangy sauce paired with fried rice and steamed broccoli. The leftovers heated up wonderfully. I did reduce the amount of cornstarch I used in my preparation because I am trying to avoid certain foods right now (more on that later). The chicken still had the sweet and sour flavor, but if you are looking for the standard crunchy coating with your sweet and sour chicken, I would recommend using the full cup of cornstarch. I hope you all enjoy this recipe and are inspired to change up your routine weeknight meals!


Ingredients:

  • 3 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • salt and pepper to season
  • 1/2 to 1 cup cornstarch
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • Sauce:
    • 3/4 cup sugar
    • 4 Tablespoons ketchup
    • 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
    • 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
    • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.  Season your cubed chicken with salt and pepper.
  • Dip chicken cubes into the cornstarch to coat. After all chicken cubes are coated in cornstarch, dip into the beaten eggs and shake lightly to remove excess egg.
  • Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook coated, chicken cubes until evenly browned but not yet cooked through.
  • Place cooked chicken into prepared casserole dish. Combine sauce ingredients and whisk together. Pour sauce evenly over chicken in casserole dish.
  • Bake for one hour, while turning chicken every 15 minutes.
Original Recipe from Life as a Lofthouse.

Ever have cooking questions or want to request a recipe, comment or email me at deepsouthsweets@gmail.com. You can also visit Deep South Sweets on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest!  


blog signature - 4/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment