Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Deep South Eats: Buttermilk Pancakes


We have a family tradition round these parts of Saturday morning pancakes. It is something that Belle looks forward to all week long and eagerly asks if it is pancake day yet. A few Saturdays ago (when we were actually in town), I got up and ready to make pancakes only to realize we were out of pancake mix. Yes, I know...I regularly commit the cardinal sin of using pancake mix instead of making from scratch. It is just a little too much to ask in my lack of sleep induced haziness. 



Back to being out of pancake mix...I knew that Belle would be disappointed if I didn't do pancakes and honestly after weeks of being in and out of town, our breakfast options were a bit limited. I quickly remembered stumbling across a recipe for Cracker Barrel-esque Buttermilk Pancakes. You see I think that Cracker Barrel has hung the moon when it comes to pancakes. They are just perfect to me with their crispy outsides fluffy insides. I was excited to try this recipe and we had everything on hand (using my handy dandy buttermilk shortcut). They did not disappoint and will probably become a part of our regular Saturday morning pancake routine.
Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted if you are so inclined
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 heaping teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • oil or butter for cooking
  • syrup and butter for serving
Directions:
  • Mix all ingredients together just until incorporated. Take care not to over mix.
  • Heat a griddle or non-stick pan at medium to medium high heat and grease with a little butter or oil (the more you grease, the crispier the edges)
  • Drop batter 1/4 cup at a time onto hot pan. Once bottom side is golden, flip and brown remaining side.
  • Serve hot with butter and real maple syrup.
Original Recipe from Food.com

Ever have cooking questions or want to request a recipe, comment or email me at deepsouthsweets@gmail.com. You can also visit Deep South Sweets on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest!  


blog signature - 4/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment