Friday, September 24, 2010

Deep South Eats: Crock Pot Delish

After my post on fall readiness, I was asked for a list of 8-10 go-to crock pot recipes. I have a ton that I love to cook, but I definitely think this list represents the foods cooked most often in our crock pot.
  • Beef Tips served over Egg Noodles
  • Taco Soup
  • Golden Chicken served over Rice
  • Pot Roast and Assorted Vegetables
  • Chuck Roast Barbecue Sandwiches
  • Buffalo Chicken (for Salads)
  • Sour Cream and Bacon Chicken
  • Berry Cobbler
  • Chicken with Creamy Chive Sauce
  • Creamy Ranch Potatoes
I can't just leave you with your mouth salivating, so I included a recipe for Chuck Roast Barbecue Sandwiches. These are delicious and great for nights when things will be busy. Since they are prepped in the morning they require very little work when ready to eat.


Chuck Roast Barbecue Sandwiches

Ingredients:
1 (2 to 2.5 lb) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
2 medium onions, chopped
3/4 cup cola soft drink (I love to use Cherry Coke or Dr. Pepper to switch it up)
3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp beef bouillon granules
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp butter or margarine (for the whimps)
6 hamburger buns

Directions:
Combine roast and onions in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Combine cola and next 7 ingredients; save 1/2 cup of the mixture in the refrigerator. Pour the remaining mixture over the roast and onions. Cook, covered, on HIGH for 6 hours until the roast is fork tender. Drain and shred the roast (I use a large slotted spoon to remove it from the juices in the crock pot and place in a serving bowl to shred). Combine reserved 1/2 cup cola mixture, ketchup, and butter in a small saucepan. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until thoroughly heated. Pour over shredded roast and stir gently. Spoon onto buns and serve.

I love to serve these with watermelon or fruit slices, carrot sticks, and chips. I will be happy to feature some of these recipes this fall, so please drop me a comment with the recipe you most anticipate seeing. Remember that there may or may not be a secret giveaway for every comment submitted this week!

with Belles and Beauxs

***This recipe was originally from the Southern Living Book: Quick and Easy Weeknight Meals

4 comments:

  1. The golden chicken over rice and taco soup sound yummy to feature :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued by the Sour Cream and Bacon Chicken and the Creamy Ranch Potatoes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sour cream and bacon chicken sounds awesome - we love bacon at our house! Your food pics are great and inspire me to get in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum yum yum - I want to make this!
    And I want to hear about sour cream and bacon chicken!

    ReplyDelete