Friday, April 13, 2012

Deep South Eats: Classic Vinaigrette

I hope some of you were able to enjoy the Ham and Swiss Rolls I posted earlier this week. They are absolutely delightful when paired with a salad, and there is nothing I love more in the warmer months of the year than a nice, crisp salad. I do confess to having bottled dressings in the fridge for when I get in a pinch, but it is so satisfying to craft a delicious homemade salad dressing. This Classic Vinaigrette is the right balance of sweet and tangy. It would be excellent on a side salad or an "under the kitchen sink" salad (you know everything you can find that sounds great on a salad). I even brought this dressing to work last night for a salad topped with sliced deli ham, grated Parmesan, fresh cucumbers and tomatoes on top of romaine lettuce.


Ingredients:
  • 2 Tablespoons water
  • 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 1 small garlic clove, mince
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar (more or less to taste)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions:
  • Combine all ingredients in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid.
  • Cover and shake well.
  • Use or refrigerate up to 1 week. I found that when I was ready to use the dressing straight from the fridge, it mixed better if I set it out on the counter for 10 minutes.

Don't forget to check out the Deep South Words to Live By: April Edition.
Print them out and put them up on your fridge or mirror!

Ever have cooking questions or want to request a recipe, comment or email me at deepsouthsweets@gmail.com. You can also visit Deep South Sweets on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest 

blog signature - 4/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment