Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Deep South Eats: Roasted Sesame Pork Tenderloin with Asian Slaw

Oooooo look at all the pretty color. Those of you who know me better than others, know that I have an odd hang up about having lots of color on my plate. There is just something depressing about eating a dinner of beige. It is as if the food is staring up at you with a blank look saying "hey I am boring and full of carbs" instead of the food that squeals happily at you "eat me, pick me, look over here". What your food isn't talking to you? Weirdo....ok maybe I am the weirdo.

This meal was delicious as it was. There are definitely some things I have changed in the recipe that would improve the overall goodness of this recipe. I know the original recipe was the way it was in order to have an efficient, speedy meal. When it comes down to it, pork tenderloin keeps the "tender" portion when it is cooked a little bit lower and slow. Sounds like a good r&b song with all the tender, low, and slow.

Ingredients: 
Directions:
  • Whisk together 1/4 cup of soy sauce and 1/2 cup of sesame-ginger dressing in zip-top bag (I like to stand the bag up in a mixing bowl to give easier access).
  • Add pork to bag, turning to coat, seal bag tight, and allow to chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours to no longer than overnight.
  • When ready to cook, preheat oven to 425 and place pork in shallow baking pan. I love to line my pans with foil so that clean up is a cinch.
  • While pork is cooking for 30 minutes, mix slaw mix, green onions, carrots and remaining 1/4 cup of sesame ginger dressing. Place in the refrigerator to chill. The original recipe includes mixing in 1 cup of chopped cilantro, but that is one of those foods that makes me toesies curl just a little bit.
  • I love to check for doneness with a meat thermometer because it is quick and doesn't require cutting into the meat. Pork should reach an internal temperature of 155-160 degrees at the thickest portion. I know this isn't the classy way to get things done but it is cheap and efficient which works for this girl.
  • Once meat is done, toss slaw with almonds and serve with pork.
This meal won the clean plate award in our house. My husband and three year old both loved it, and my dear husband even went back for seconds!

Recipe adapted from original recipe. Changes made= additional dressing for marinating and longer marinating time, lower cooking temperature and longer time, prechopped slaw mix in place of napa cabbage that has to be chopped.

Premier Prints Zig Zag Village Blue-4

No comments:

Post a Comment