Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Deep South Eats: The Lady's Cheesy Mac


This was a great dish and your classic Southern macaroni and cheese. Not the super creamy kind that comes from the frozen dinner kind. I would explain it this way (follow the crazy lady's brain): it is called macaroni AND cheese. You should be able to differentiate the two as you can in Paula Deen's version. There is definite macaroni and definite cheese that when baked together is amazing. The super creamy kind that tastes like noodles with sauce (there is nothing wrong with this kind - believe me I love it some days) I think should be renamed macaronicheese. Take out the "and" reserving it only for the true casserole where you can actually see and taste the two ingredients. I told you I was a little bit nutty!

Ingredients:
  • 4 Tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (I used light and got decent results)
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese - I used 1 cup mild and 1 cup sharp
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni, drained
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • Additional cheese for topping.
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain.
  • Place cooked macaroni in a large bowl and add the cheese.
  • In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients and add to the macaroni mixture.
  • Pour macaroni into a casserole dish and bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Sprinkle additional cheese on top during the last five minutes of baking.


This was great served with some smoked sausage and steamed vegetables. I think it would be great with any grilled meat or even a honey ham for Sunday lunch.

Enjoy!

Premier Prints Zig Zag Village Blue-4

No comments:

Post a Comment