Friday, December 9, 2011

Deep South Eats: Pineapple Casserole


What is more Southern than a casserole topped with Ritz Crackers? I mean throw a bunch of stuff in a pan with some Ritz Crackers on top and it is amazing. I have an immense love for Pineapple Casserole. If it weren't for the risk of burns I would give the pan a big hug! The sweetness of the fruit and the salty of the crackers and cheese is a perfect balance. I like to serve it alongside a saltier entree like ham steaks or roasted turkey breasts and a mild, green vegetable.


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 6 Tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained but reserve 6 Tablespoons of pineapple juice
  • 1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs
  • 1 stick butter melted, use a little bit to grease your dish as well
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Grease a 9x13 casserole using a little bit of butter.
  • Stir together sugar and flour, and then stir in cheddar cheese. Add drained pineapple chunks and stir well.
  • Pour into prepared casserole dish.
  • Stir together cracker crumbs, melted butter, and reserved 6 Tablespoons of pineapple juice. Spread mixture on top of pineapple mixture.
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Original recipe from my sister-in-law's mother, Mrs. Faith Huff.

Don't forget to enter the GIVEAWAY for a 2012 Blue Sky Planner. Giveaway ends Sunday at 8pm EST.

blog signature - 4/2011

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about the Ritz crackers! Of course butter always helps too :) I have a recipe very similar to this that I always serve with ham. I have to add that this is almost as good leftover as it is the first time around. I'm looking forward to enjoying it in a couple of weeks. Kim

    ReplyDelete