What is more Southern than a casserole topped with Ritz Crackers? I mean throw a bunch of stuff in a pan with some Ritz Crackers on top and it is amazing. I have an immense love for Pineapple Casserole. If it weren't for the risk of burns I would give the pan a big hug! The sweetness of the fruit and the salty of the crackers and cheese is a perfect balance. I like to serve it alongside a saltier entree like ham steaks or roasted turkey breasts and a mild, green vegetable.
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained but reserve 6 Tablespoons of pineapple juice
- 1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs
- 1 stick butter melted, use a little bit to grease your dish as well
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 casserole using a little bit of butter.
- Stir together sugar and flour, and then stir in cheddar cheese. Add drained pineapple chunks and stir well.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish.
- Stir together cracker crumbs, melted butter, and reserved 6 Tablespoons of pineapple juice. Spread mixture on top of pineapple mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Original recipe from my sister-in-law's mother, Mrs. Faith Huff.
Don't forget to enter the GIVEAWAY for a 2012 Blue Sky Planner. Giveaway ends Sunday at 8pm EST.