Thursday, December 1, 2011

Deep South Eats: Chocolate-Pecan Chess Pie



I was asked to bring a dessert to this past Thanksgiving festivities. My mom was already making a coconut cake, my sister-in- law some adorable turkey sugar cookies, so what could I bring? I flipped through my November issue of Southern Living which featured some awesome Thanksgiving recipes. I knew we needed a little chocolate in our dessert life, but what about the traditional pecan pie? I was thrilled to find a recipe for Chocolate-Pecan Chess Pie. Hello, best of both worlds!


This pie is phenomenal in flavor and so dense in texture. It is quick to make and requires very little skill. I think this would be a great recipe for a beginner baker. It was gobbled up on Thanksgiving day, and I may or may not have witnessed a few family members with forks in the pie pan after dinner.


Ingredients:

  • 1/2 of a package of refrigerated pie crusts (there are usually 2 crusts in each package and you will only need one or feel free to use a prepared frozen one if that is convenient for you)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 (1-oz) unsweetened chocolate baking squares
  • 1 (5-oz) can evaporated milk (or 2/3 cup if you can't find the small cans)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
  • 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups pecan halves and pieces
  • 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon corn syrup
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Roll pie crust into a 13-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Fold edges under and crimp. (I let my sister-in-law ruffle the edge of my crust but here is a fantastic video for different pie crust edges).
  • In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter and chocolate squares at 50% power for 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval. You will want to continue this until the butter chocolate mixture is completely melted and stirs smoothly. Approximately 1 1/2 to 2 minutes total.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk eggs gently and then add to butter chocolate mixture along with evaporated milk and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
  • Stir together granulated sugar, cocoa, flour and salt in a separate bowl and add to chocolate mixture, whisking until smooth.
  • Pour into prepared crust and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
  • After removing pie from oven and stir together pecans, brown sugar, corn syrup and remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Sprinkle over pie and return to oven for 10 minutes or until set.
  • Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack.
Original Recipe from Southern Living.

Don't forget to enter the Giveaway for Jesus Calling. One for you and one to give!

Ever have cooking questions or want to request a recipe, comment or email me at deepsouthsweets@gmail.com. You can also visit Deep South Sweets on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest!


blog signature - 4/2011

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I am Gretchen, the owner of Sophisticated Posies. I had several links to my store from your blog this week and saw where you had posted my LSU prints. I would love to send you one as a thank you. If you are interested send me a message at Sophisticatedposies@gmail.com
    PS: that pie looks delish!
    Thanks Again!

    ReplyDelete