The other Saturday morning, I had a really hankering for a fresh, homemade biscuit. Now I totally could have hopped in the car and gone up the road all of a half mile to the local McD's. The ingredients were in the pantry so I decided to conquer the biscuit. These were nice and buttery with a dense texture. I froze what was leftover for quick meals in the morning, and hope to make another recipe soon for freezing.
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (remember don't go buy buttermilk - make your own)
- Melted butter for tops
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Knead all ingredients together 20 times.
- Roll out dough 3/4 inch thick and cut with 3-inch circle or biscuit cutter.
- Arrange biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until tops are golden brown and biscuits have doubled in height.
- Remove from oven and brush tops with melted butter.