Thursday, September 8, 2011

Deep South Eats: MeMe's Mashed Potatoes

Another great recipe from Southern Plate...can you tell that I am in love with this cookbook? I love a good mashed potato recipe that I can whip out quick for dinner. My little nut loves making mashed potatoes with me so that she can scrub the potatoes and help with the mixing. I added a little sauteed garlic to my potatoes to add a oomph, but they would be great without. I could see these dressed up with a nice steak or simple with some chicken fingers and green beans.


Ingredients:
  • 5 pounds of potatoes for mashing (I used reds because that was what was in the pantry that day)
  • 1 teaspoon of salt for the water
  • 1 5-ounce can of evaporated milk
  • 1 stick margarine
  • 1 teaspoon salt for the potatoes 
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced (optional)

Directions:
  • Wash, peel and cut the potatoes into slices or large cubes.
  • Fill a stockpot with enough water to just cover the tops of the potatoes.
  • Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
  • Add the potatoes to the salted water and bring to a boil.
  • Boil gently for about 30 minutes or until very tender.
  • Drain the potatoes and add the remaining ingredients. If using garlic, melt the margarine over medium heat and saute the garlic until lightly browned...then add the garlic and margarine to the potatoes.
  • Mix well with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
Hey...I never said they were healthy...enjoy!



Recipe source: Southern Plate.com
blog signature - 4/2011

1 comment: