The Caramelized Green Beans from Our Best Bites have been on my to-do list for quite some time. Last month I was taking food to a friend with newborn twins and knew this would be the perfect side dish. I can't wait to make this for our family as well because I got a quick taste and they were delicious!
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 1/2 lb bacon, (I used center cut bacon for lower fat content)
- 1/2 red onion, sliced (make sure this is done before you start cooking)
- 3 - 4 cloves of garlic, minced (same as above)
- olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- 3 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Boil a large pot of water.
- Place beans in a colander and rinse them well. Snap the ends off of the beans and then snap the beans in half. Leave colander in sink when done.
- Mix sugar, soy sauce and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Fry bacon in large skillet. Once cooked, remove from pan, drain on paper towel, and crumble.
- Pour bacon drippings out of pan leaving about 1 Tablespoon of drippings in the pan.
- Add a little bit of olive oil to the drippings and heat the pan to medium-high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add onion and garlic and give a quick stir.
- Add beans to boiling water and boil for one minute. You just want to blanch them, not cook through. Drain in colander. Continue stirring onion and garlic.
- Once beans have drained add them to skillet with onion and garlic and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir the sauce that you have set aside and pour on top of beans in skillet. Continue stir-frying until beans looked glazed about 2-3 minutes.
- Add bacon crumbles and fresh pepper to green bean mixture and continue stir-frying until sauce is sticking to green beans and bacon.
- Transfer to serving dish and allow to cool a few minutes before serving.
Original recipe from Our Best Bites.