***I left out an ingredient and have updated since this was first published.
Who has been to a potluck lately where there wasn't a broccoli salad? I sure haven't. A while back I had a craving for this salty-sweet goodness. I turned to my favorite resource for Southern cooking, Southern Plate, and found a delicious recipe. I made a few alterations to account for my family's taste preference, and it was a hit. I feel like the longer it sat in my refrigerator the better it became.
- 4 to 5 cups chopped fresh broccoli (I prefer to chop just the florets but go ahead and throw the stems and stalks if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I used light mayo with fantastic results)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- Place the broccoli in a large bowl and add the Craisins, bacon, onion, cheese and sunflower seeds.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar until the sugar is dissolved to make a dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and stir to coat.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This was served with ham rolls and fresh fruit. What is your favorite entree for broccoli salad?
Original recipe at SouthernPlate.com