Thursday, June 7, 2012

Deep South Eats: Three Ingredient Cobbler

Growing up I was never a cobbler girl. The thought of mushy, warm fruit was just disgusting to my 10 year old brain. As I have grown up and slowly ventured out of my food safety nets, I have found a love of cobbler. Of course, that love only extends to cobbler with a scoop of homemade vanilla Blue Bell ice cream on top. The problem is cobbler can be a bit of a time commitment, and often I am looking for something that is quick and can be thrown together at last minute. For many years, I have used a crock pot cobbler, but that did not leave me 100% satisfied with a quick and easy cobbler. I came across a link on Pinterest for a simple cobbler and it actually turned out being a spam pin. With a little internet detective work, I finally found the real deal and it turned out to be a Weight Watchers friendly cobbler.
This past Memorial Day, we hosted a group of friends in our home. I threw it together and in the oven minutes before the guests arrived and the smell that filled the house was divine. I knew they would be honest test subjects, and lets just say you couldn't have licked the dish clean. There may or may not have been one guy that went back for thirds. In all honesty, this doesn't look beautiful coming out of the oven, but who needs pretty when it tastes this good? Serve it in a pretty dish with a heaping scoop of Blue Bell and you will be the queen of the night.

Ingredients:
  • 2 (12 ounce) bags of frozen fruit - I used one bag of strawberries and one of raspberries
  • 1 box yellow cake mix, unprepared (no pudding mixes)
  • 1 (12 ounce) can diet sprite or other clear soda
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Place frozen fruit evenly in 9x13 baking dish.
  • Pour dry cake mix evenly over frozen fruit and spread out any lumps.
  • Slowly pour clear soda of choice evenly over cake mix and DO NOT stir.
  • Bake for 40-45 minutes, and enjoy with a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Original Recipe from Living a Changed Life.

Ever have cooking questions or want to request a recipe, comment or email me at deepsouthsweets@gmail.com. You can also visit Deep South Sweets on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest!  


blog signature - 4/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment