Friday, June 22, 2012

Deep South Eats: Just Like Chipotle's Corn Salsa

If you missed yesterday's post about my Guatemala trip... take a minute to learn more about Health Talents.

I am not a huge fan of the build your own burrito. It is just way more food than I can eat and trying to keep it all neat and tidy inside the burrito is impossible. For the OCD, that is just frustrating and non-enjoyable. After bible study on Wednesdays, we always try to go out to lunch together. Our ultimate goal is somewhere that is kid-friendly and not too crowded with the business crowd lunch rush. We used to always end up at Panera or the Patio. One Wednesday, there were only three of us venturing out for lunch and so we picked Chipotle. I honestly don't think I had eaten at a Chipotle in years. I had no clue what to even order (ask my husband....I am the weird girl that likes to know exactly what I am going to order before we even sit down to eat).


I was so excited to discover the Burrito Bowls at Chipotle. The opportunity to eat all the yummy ingredients in a burrito without the struggle to maintain them within a flimsy tortilla. Topped with their delicious Corn Salsa and I was in heaven. Weeks passed by without return to Chipotle, but I could not get their Corn Salsa off my brain. It was divinely fresh, crisp, cool, and spicy all at once. I dreamed of all the variety of ways it could be served....as a dip, on top of fajitas, in a quesadilla, and on and on. Then as if she read my mind, one of my favorite food blogger's, How Sweet Eats, published her own recipe for the Corn Salsa at Chipotle. Months passed by and I finally found an opportunity to try it out...it was GLORIOUS!


Ingredients:
  • 1 (12 ounce bag) frozen sweet yellow corn, thawed and drained
  • 2 medium-sized jalapenos, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, torn and finely chopped
  • Juice from 2 limes
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions:
  • Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
  • Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
  • Keep chilled until serving.
Original recipe from How Sweet Eats.

P.S. This is not an advertisement for Chipotle....the people there have absolutely no clue who I am despite the fact that I am crazy obsessed with their corn salsa.

Ever have cooking questions or want to request a recipe, comment or email me at deepsouthsweets@gmail.com. You can also visit Deep South Sweets on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest!  


blog signature - 4/2011

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, Rachel! I am obsessed with their corn salsa too:)

    ReplyDelete