Thursday, July 28, 2011

Deep South Eats: Sesame Broccoli



I have had the recipe for Sesame Broccoli flagged for quite some time. All I can say now is why did I not try it sooner? It is incredibly easy to make and the taste is phenomenal. I am so glad to have another quick, easy and very healthy side dish in my arsenal. Everyone in my family that ate this went back for seconds, even my husband which is amazing that he even consumed a green vegetable to start with. I would seriously make this every other day if it weren't for the potentially scary effects of eating broccoli every other day.


Ingredients:

  • 1 pound of fresh broccoli cut into spears
  • 1 Tablespoon of sugar (helps the medicine go down you know)
  • 1 Tablespoon of soy sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons of vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons of toasted sesame seeds (you can toast these yourself or buy pretoasted and warm them up a tad)

Directions:

  • Steam broccoli in steamer, steam basket or microwave for 5 minutes until crisp-tender. I prefer to steam our broccoli in the microwave in a covered casserole dish with 1 Tablespoon of water because it is less to clean up and the covered dish can become a serving dish if needed. Place steamed broccoli on a serving platter in even layer.
  • Stir together sugar, soy sauce, oil and vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture is heated through.
  • Drizzle sauce over broccoli and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
  • Serve immediately.
Original recipe from Southern Living Quick and Easy Weeknight Meals which is apparently out of print.

blog signature - 4/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment