Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Deep South Eats: Dill Potato Salad



Hope everyone had a fabulous July 4th! Ours was wonderful with our annual tradition of watching fireworks from the roof of the beach house. In celebrating the 4th, what is more American than an excellent potato salad? I have been searching for a dill potato salad recipe to match the one I love at a local restaurant Never Enough Thyme. While I still haven't reached perfection, this recipe is SO close I can just...well...taste it.


Ingredients:

  • 10 unpeeled red potatoes
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 white onion, minced
  • 1 stalk of celery, finely diced
  • 1 teaspoon of celery salt
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 Tablespoon of dried dill weed
Directions:
  • Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water.
  • Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium (medium-low if you want more firm potatoes) and simmer until potatoes are cooked through. I prefer soft potatoes in my potato salad so I cook 25-30 minutes. If you prefer more firm potatoes cook about 20 minutes.
  • Remove potatoes from water and let cool. Cut in to small bite size pieces and set aside.
  • In a bowl, stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, onion, celery, celery salt, and salt and pepper to taste.
  • Place potatoes in large bowl and sprinkle with dried dill. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and mix lightly.
  • Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and serve cold.
Original recipe: Southern Dill Potato Salad from AllRecipes.com (I omitted the eggs and Dijon mustard because I knew they were not in the potato salad I was trying to achieve).

blog signature - 4/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment