Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Deep South Eats: Quiche Lorraine


OOO boy this is one of my favorite brunch dishes (sounds a bit like OOO cher looks like you gotta cajun in your pocket). I use it for all sorts of meals and occasions and it is simple and elegant. Over the years I have been able to perfect the cooking time and temperature to make it JUUUUUUUSSSST right! Serve it for breakfast brunch with some muffins, Poppyseed Bread, and/or fruit, or serve it for lunch dinner with a large garden salad.

Ingredients:
  • 1, 9-inch pie crust (I prefer Marie Callenders deep dish to hold all the ingredients without spillage)
  • 12 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
  • 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1/3 cup minced onion
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups of light cream
  • 3/4 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. white sugar
  • 1/8 t. cayenne pepper
Directions:
  • Place pie crust on foil lined baking sheet.
  • Layer bacon, cheese and onion evenly in the bottom of your pie crust
  • Whisk together eggs, cream, salt, sugar, and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl.
  • Pour mixture evenly over bacon, cheese and onion into the pie shell (If using a deep dish shell it will come right to the top)
  • Carefully place baking sheet with pie crust in the refrigerator to chill for a few hours or preferably overnight. You can cook this without chilling, but the consistency will not be as firm.
  • When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • Bake quiche on baking sheet in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
  • Reduce heat to 325 and bake an additional 30 minutes. 
  • To check for "doneness" (yeah not sure if that is a word but work with me), insert knife 1 inch from edge and check to see if it comes out clean.
  • Allow quiche to sit for 10 minutes.
  • Cut into wedges and serve.
Don't forget to check out What's on the Menu from Monday and look forward to a One Thousand Gifts post tonight or tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! We had the best quiche in London last week, and Tyler is FINALLY a fan. :) I just asked him if I could make this, and he said "yes please!"

    *And I got a comment from you as I was writing this. ha! I think I have a cd of yours that has just as random of a mix as I would make. Everything from Boys II Men, an Acapella version of "Crash," to Oasis. Ha! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete