As I posted earlier this year, I am trying to post more flab friendly recipes. The key word there is "trying". I am a girl that LOVES food and LOVES to try new recipes. It can be very challenging to find healthy recipes that are exciting and actually look appetizing. This recipe was a true gem in the world of rice cakes and tasteless mystery meat. I would even be hard pressed to describe it as healthy as the flavor was out of this world. I guess since it is only 5 points I will go ahead and award it the Girl Scout healthy badge. Iron that bad boy on to your vest!
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp table salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper, divided
- 1 pound uncooked, boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small vidalia onion, cut in half lengthwise and sliced very thinly
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (I actually realized into the cooking process that I was out of balsamic and only had raspberry balsamic - still delicious)
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme chopped (save money and use 1/2 tsp dried thyme instead)
- 2 tsp butter
- Combine flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in a small plate.
- Dredge each chicken breast in mixture, turning to coat.
- Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook, flipping once, until golden in color and cooked through, approx. 7 minutes (I prefer to use a meat thermometer to check chicken when cooking). Remove to a serving plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add onions to skillet and saute over medium-high heat until lightly browned, approx 4 minutes.
- Add broth, balsamic vinegar, thyme, and remaining 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- Bring to a boil and stir often until onions are tender, approx 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted.
- Each serving is one 4 oz serving of chicken with 1/4 cup of onion sauce served over chicken.
- Serves 4 and goes nicely with mashed potatoes and a steamed veggie.
Happy healthy eating! Don't forget to check out the Chapter One post for One Thousand Gifts and look forward to a Chapter Two post this coming Wednesday.
with Belles and Beauxs
*Original recipe adapted from Weight Watchers