Monday, October 11, 2010

Deep South Eats: Suzy's Taco Soup

This beauty comes straight out of my amazing church cookbook. There are so many "regulars" I have from this cookbook. Basically 325 pages of goodness. This recipe is the perfect fall/winter soup. It is fast and super easy. It freezes very well and makes a huge quantity. I have altered the recipe a little bit to match my families personal preferences, but I have also included the original amounts.

Suzy's Taco Soup (because everyone's church cookbook recipe starts with some one's name - j/k)

Ingredients: (DO NOT drain any of the canned goods - the juice helps make the base)
1 lb. lean ground beef (may use up to 1 1/2 lb.)
1 large onion, chopped
2 (16 oz) cans of chili beans (Mexican style and up to 3 cans may be used)
1 (16 oz) can whole kernel corn
1 (16 oz) can chopped tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 (4.5 oz) can chopped mild green chiles (may use up to a whole can)
1 (1 1/4 oz) package of taco seasoning mix
1 (1 oz) envelope of Ranch-style dry salad dressing mix (I use Hidden Valley)

Directions:
Cook beef and onion over medium high heat until well browned. Drain grease. Put into a large Dutch oven or soup pan. Stir beans and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Serve with desired toppings - Frito's, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped tomato, shredded lettuce, chopped avocado, etc.
Can be doubled or prepared ahead. I like to freeze it in single serving containers so they can thaw overnight and be ready for lunch or to take to work for dinner (that is why there is no picture because it is currently all frozen).

with Belles and Beauxs

3 comments:

  1. This sounds SO good to me! I'm planning on making this on Monday. But I want to do it in a crockpot. Do you think it will work the same?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it in the crock pot and it was a hit! I also froze A LOT! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad it was loved. It is one of my all-time favorite fall/winter soups. You will love having the freezer stock!

    ReplyDelete