Monday, August 16, 2010

The Sweet Kitchen

Oh did I fail to mention that this Southern girl tends to be a bit OCD organized from time-to-time. I believe that a weekly meal menu is a staple in every home. Not only does it save money but it helps with eating healthier, time management and knowing how to put variety in your meals. This is a talent that was passed down to me from my dear mother. Southern girls learn to respect the traditions of our mothers that helped the home run more smoothly.

Every Sunday afternoon you can find me planning our weekly menu and grocery list. This can be as easy as just planning your dinners Monday through Friday or as detailed as breakfast, lunch and dinner for everyday of the week (I told you I had some OCD tendencies).

This week our sweet kitchen is cooking up:

Monday - Pineapple Chicken Bites, Onion Rice, and Green Beans
Tuesday - Whole Wheat Pasta with Tomato Basil Sauce and Salad with Homemade Caesar Dressing
Wednesday - Taco Salad with Fresh Fruit
Thursday - Leftovers (Hey a girl has got to take a breather from time to time)
Friday - Corn and Bacon Chowder, Cheese Scones, Salad with Vinaigrette Dressing
Saturday - Marinated Flank Steak, Mashed Potatoes, and Steamed Garlic Broccoli
Sunday - Church Potluck (Yes the Deep South lifestyle includes a good potluck)

In order to kick off this blog and get my readers enticed to make weekly menus I am giving away one of these decorative white boards. The winner will be able to choose colors/patterns of their choice to match their home.


First Entry: Leave a comment including your first name and email address telling me on a scale of 0-10 how well weekly menus work for you. 0 being "no way, bless her heart" and 10 being "duh, don't know how to survive without"
Second Entry: Tell a friend to enter the giveaway and have them leave your name in the comment line.
Third Entry: Tell me something that you would like to see featured on the blog.

15 comments:

  1. 8 - But Alicia usually does the menu, and I usually change it when I'm cooking something for http://TheHungrySoutherner.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7 Love menus but also like being spontaneous. (Sarah, nashvillefork@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 6 - good in theory, but being pregnant sometimes I am just not in the mood for certain foods, even though they sound good at the time! (mpolun@gmail.cOm)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 10 - I plan my menu every week. I can't imagine coming home and winging it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 8 but sometimes we get so busy we don't follow it. I would like to be more consistent. - yessodm(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see some simple recipes and decorating advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 10- I have fallen off the bandwagon since the baby 3 months ago, but I actually meal planned, grocery shopped, cooked a weeks worth of meals and froze them the day before he was born! Meal planning keeps me fro being stressed each evening. You should post your weekly meals! I need some new ideas and inspiration to get me started again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to give you a "bless her heart"! :) Although this idea sounds so wonderful to me, I can never seem to do it. Every now and then I will take the time to plan meals, but plans always seem to change and then my thawed out meat goes bad. HA! I am just not that organized and I applaud you for being OCD!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have to go with a 6. This is still all really new to me, but I am enjoying figuring it out. Please post some recipie ideas that don't take too much prep time or can be prepped the night before-I get home from work pretty late most nights. bonnieleewatson@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 6...because half the time Jeremy usually talks me into ChickFilA or Papa Johns!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 10!!! I definitely have the OCD Scobey genes in me! Can't live without my menu, although I do leave Saturday and Sunday open for freebies (so Josh gets to choose every once in awhile!), and I do my menus on Thursday and grocery shop on Friday! Our fridge is pretty bare come Friday morning! New ideas for menu items are always nice so keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with Mel on the 6, and some weeks that's a little too generous. I did a lot better when I planned 7 meals a week (just dinner every night)...I only had to hit the grocery store once. Now I find myself at Super Target about 4 times a week! Sometimes when I'm just too tired, I'll have Michael bring home a pizza or we'll grab something else out. That has happened way too often lately!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 9. I sit down on Sunday and try to do it most of the time. I've really been wanting to try this thing called E-Mealz where you sign up and they will email you menus for the week (you can choose the type of menu- low carb, low-fat whatever fits your family's needs) and coordinate all the ingredients so you can use leftover ingredients. I just haven't gotten around to it!
    Jen
    jenleckbowen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. 8... because I don't do our menu until after we go the The Dunwoody Farmer's Market on Wednesday mornings... which is a little bit backwards from the normal menu planning :)

    ReplyDelete