Monday, August 30, 2010

The Sweet Kitchen: Whats on the Menu?

Some weeks the motivation to try new recipes fizzles quickly as I look through our weekly calendar and discover it is going to be a hazy, crazy week. When you have a week that is going to pull you in 15, 482 different directions it is important to not over commit yourself within your weekly menu.

On weeks such as these I devote myself to cleaning out my pantry, refrigerator and freezer. I look closely to see what all I have and combine meals with the various items. I am a little wary of creating "surprise" meals, so I stick with basics like pasta and sauce, crock pot meals, etc. This week I have several nights I am going to the hospital for work, large projects that need to be finished around the house before company comes on Saturday, and the SEC kick off football game Saturday night. There is no reason to kill myself this week to produce fabulous meals. My goal this week is to provide filling, healthy meals that will keep my dear family from coming down with rickets or scurvy.

Monday: Whole Wheat Linguine, Tomato Basil Sauce, and Walnut Green Beans
Tuesday: Crockpot Stew Meat, Cheesy Mashed Potatoes, and Steamed Broccoli
Wednesday: Island Chicken, Boiled Corn on the Cob, and Baked Pineapple
Thursday: Club Sandwiches, Raw Veggies with Dip, and Fresh Fruit
Friday: Pizza and Tossed Salad
Saturday: Out to Eat at Football Game
Sunday: Grill Out Hamburgers and Hot Dogs for a Pre Labor Day Party (Labor Day is my summer holiday to work at the hospital)

I hope that you will look at your weekly calendar when planning your weekly meals, and make sure you aren't adding additional stress with complicated meals on busy weeks.

Coming up this week:
  • Guest Bedroom Redo: Phase One
  • Recipe: Chicken Pot Pie Empanadas
  • Top of Cabinets: To Decorate or Not to Decorate
with Belles and Beauxs

No comments:

Post a Comment