Thursday, August 2, 2012

Deep South Eats: Pan Seared Chicken with Balsamic Cream Sauce

One of my biggest fears of starting Metabolism Miracle was that I would not be able to enjoy great food. I had an irrational fear of my love of cooking suffering in a huge way. In actuality, I am expanding my cooking in leaps and bounds and trying recipes that I probably was not adventurous enough to try in the first place.

This recipe struck my fancy on Pinterest long before I was interested in Metabolism Miracle. I was ecstatic when I clicked the link to discover a entire low carb blog paradise. This a great meal for beginner cooks to expand their horizons. While a bit labor intensive, the results are worth a full days work. It was honestly one of the best meals I have put in my mouth in a long time. It well exceeded my expectations and was better than many restaurant chicken dishes I have eaten. The plates in our house needed no washing following dinner this night as we had licked them clean. I served the Pan Seared Chicken with Balsamic Cream with a Spinach Salad and Roasted Potatoes for the carbivores living in my home.

Ingredients:
  • 3 to 4 chicken breasts
  • 1/2 large onion, slice thinly
  • 1 package sliced mushrooms (usually around 8 to 10 ounces), washed
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup heavy cream (feel free to substitute half and half)
  • 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • salt and pepper
Directions:
  • Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in a small saute pan over medium heat. Saute sliced onions in melted butter until caramelized and golden brown, approximately 15 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and set aside.
  • In a separate large saute pan, heat the remaining 3 Tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Place chicken breasts in the pan and brown on both sides. Removed from pan and set aside. They will not be cooked through at this point but golden brown on both sides.
  • Pour chicken broth into pan to deglaze the pan. Use a spatula to scrape up the browned bits at the bottom of the pan.
  • Add the heavy cream and balsamic vinegar to the pan and stir to combine.
  • Add the sliced mushrooms to the cream sauce and a little salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Add the chicken back to the cream sauce and turn the heat up to medium and saute for 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
  • Remove the chicken breasts from the pan and plate for serving. Add the Parmesan cheese and caramelized onion to the sauce and continue stirring until the cheese is melted and well-combined.
  • Spoon sauce over plated chicken breast and serve.
Original Recipe from Peace, Love, and Low Carb.

Ever have cooking questions or want to request a recipe, comment or email me at deepsouthsweets@gmail.com. You can also visit Deep South Sweets on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest!  

blog signature - 4/2011

2 comments: