We love to grill during the summer months. There is nothing quite as satisfying as a fantastic marinated steak with crisp summer vegetables. We are always adventurous in throwing a wide variety of vegetables and fruit (for desserts) on the grill. Moving away from our standard marinated, grilled green beans, we went wild for a new recipe of grilled tomatoes. These were jaw-dropping, drool-face fantastic. They were so simple to throw on the grill with our steaks and packed with savory garlic flavor.
- 6 ripe tomatoes, plum tomatoes preferably
- Coarse salt
- Black pepper
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat grill to high.
- Slice tomatoes in half. Use your finger to gently scoop the seeds and pulp out of the tomato. Season tomato halves with salt and pepper.
- Peel and mince garlic. Heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic to heated oil and saute until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and pour garlic into a heatproof bowl and mix in Parmesan cheese and fresh thyme leaves.
- Brush grill grates with olive oil and place the tomatoes cut side down directly onto the grill grate. Grill for 3 to 5 minutes, rotating them after 2 minutes 45 degrees to create crosshatch grill marks.
- Turn tomatoes with grill safe tongs to cut side up and spoon garlic-cheese mixture over the tops of the tomatoes.
- Continue grilling until garlic cheese mixture is bubbly and browned.
Original recipe from Proud Italian Cook.